Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"Parallel Futures of a Game Engine"

I held one of the keynotes at the Intel Dynamic Execution Environment Symposium today (what a lovely concise conference name!). It's an internal Intel conference but as I'm an external speaker, I'm able to make my slides public.

I called my talk "Parallel Futures of a Game Engine":

Game engines have long been in the forefront of taking advantage of the ever increasing parallel compute power of both CPUs and GPUs. This talk is about how the parallel compute is utilized in practice on multiple platforms today in the Frostbite game engine and how we think the parallel programming models, hardware and software in the industry should look like in the next 5 years to help us make the best games possible.


It was a good and healthy process, while preparing this talk, to gather up both my own and our collective thoughts and experiences that we've had over the last few years. In order to try to build up and present a reasonably coherent vision and idea, which I think I succeeded with.

The talk is a bit of collection of some old material together with some new thoughts and conclusions about parallel programming models.

If you have any comments, ideas or further thoughts I would love to hear them!
Add a comment here, send me a mail or contact me on twitter (@repi)


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting. I would love to see it. Am I blind or is there no link?

repi said...

Embedded slides are up again now!

Sara Reid said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Are you aware that 50% art + 30% design + 20% code + 10% audio = 110%? :)

repi said...

Yeah noticed that afterwards, got the numbers from our production people.

But I like to think of it as a good freudian slip that reflects the reality of game development :)